Sunday, September 21, 2008

Stuffed Bell Peppers

My bestie, Robin sent me this recipe. My mom used to make this a lot when I was growing up. I love it and make it for my family too. The kids love it! I'm giving you a combined version of both of our recipe's. Robin uses ground turkey. I tried it this time and loved it, especially because it's so much less fat. It's a little blander in taste, so you can still use a lean ground beef if you prefer. This is so yummy! Thanks Robin for reminded me of how much I love these!





Stuffed Bell Peppers:

  • 4 large green bell peppers that will stand up
  • 1/4 of an onion
  • 1 pound ground turkey, lean ground beef or steamed veggies
  • 1 1/2 cups of steamed rice
  • 1 jar of spaghetti sauce
  • 1 bag of shredded cheese
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp garlic salt
  • 1/4 tsp black pepper
  • 1/4 tsp onion powder

  1. Heat oven to 350
  2. First steam your rice.
  3. In a large skillet brown your meat with salt, garlic salt, pepper and onion powder.
  4. Discard any grease, I never have any when using lean meats.
  5. Add your finely chopped onion and cook until ready.
  6. Add steamed rice, 1/2 can spaghetti sauce and 1/2 bag of cheese to your skillet with the meat mixture.
  7. Put on low heat and stir until it's sticking together. This is when I start tasting it to make sure I have enough seasoning, sauce and rice. I like to add some here or there as desired.
  8. Cut a hole into the top of your peppers, core out the inside.
  9. Rinse your peppers inside and out.
  10. Start Filling them with your mixture. I like mine stuffed full!
  11. Put your peppers into a baking dish and add more cheese on top. I cook mine without adding more sauce. Robin adds the rest of the can over top and bakes it that way. It's good both ways.
  12. Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes.Take off the foil and finish baking for 15 minutes.


If you have left over mixture it's nice to add it to the plates when serving. Hope you enjoy! Thanks again Robin for a yummy meal!

Cindy

6 comments:

Hall Family said...

I bet this one would be really good with red, orange, or yellow bell peppers!

Princess-R-Us said...

Yes, it would be nice to do a mixture if you were having a dinner party so you'd have all the beautiful colors! Great idea Jen!

Four peas in a pod said...

My mom used to make stuffed bell peppers when I was a kid and I loved them! I wrote this down and will get ingredients tomorrow to make for dinner some night this week. Thanks for the great suggestion!

Princess-R-Us said...

I hope you enjoy it! It's fun to make things that take you back to being a kid yourself..........I'm all about tradition too, so maybe one day they will say, my Nana used to make this for our Mommy and now we make it for our family..... I can only hope! lol

Four peas in a pod said...

We made this for dinner tonight and it was delicious! We both loved it and our 3 year old gobbled up the "stuffing" although she wasn't a fan of the pepper itself.

We made a few modifications that worked for us, the biggest that we used 5 peppers instead of 4 in order to have two nights' worth of dinner. We love onion in this house so I also used a whole onion. I doubled the rice amount in order to stretch out the ground turkey a bit and to have enough to fill an extra pepper. My favorite is that I finely chopped the edible part of the pepper top that was cut off and added it to the mix.

Before dinner was even done, I had requests to make this again! Thanks for the fantastic recipe!

Princess-R-Us said...

Great idea using the top for the inside! I love onions too, I'll have to use a whole onion next time..... I'm so glad you all enjoyed it, it's so nice when you can add a new meal to the family menu! We get so bored eating the same things. lol