Thursday, September 18, 2008

Chicken Piccata

This is delicious! My friend Dawn gave me this recipe and it's definitely something you all have to try. I made a few changes to the recipe so we would have more sauce to pour over the top. I then thickened the sauce. My family loves sauces and I prefer them thick. This sauce has lemon in it so it's very flavorful. You don't need a lot of sauce just enough to moisten the rice and add some flavor. The kids loved this too! Thank you Dawn, for an awesome new meal that I will be cooking regularly! This would go great with a summer salad.



Chicken Piccata:

  • 6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tbsp water
  • 6 tbsp butter or margarine
  • 6 tbsp vegetable oil
  • 1 tbsp garlic powder
  • 1/2 cup garlic & herb bread crumbs
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 pinch of salt
  • 2 pinches of pepper
  • 2 lemons
  • 1/4 cup white wine or blush
  • 1 can chicken broth

  1. Flatten all your chicken to 1/4 inch thickness between plastic wrap or waxed paper. This helps it cook well and remain tender.
  2. Mix the egg and water together in a bowl.
  3. Mix the bread crumbs, salt, pepper and garlic powder together on a large plate. It's easier to coat the chicken on a plate then in a bowl.
  4. First coat the chicken with the flour.
  5. Then dip it into the egg mixture and coat with bread crumb mixture.
    Heat 3 tbsp of butter or margarine and 3 tbsp of oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
  6. Cook the chicken in the skillet for 4 to 5 minutes on each side. Try to only turn it once so you don't loose any of your crust by flipping it too much. I found it was completely done yet still nice and tender when I cooked it for 4 minutes on each side.
  7. Remove chicken from skillet using your tongs and keep warm.
  8. Keep you drippings in your skillet, this will be used to create your sauce.

Sauce:

  1. Add 3 tbsp butter or margarine and 3 tbsp of vegetable oil to the skillet.
  2. Add the juice of one regular lemon or 1/2 large lemon and 1/4 cup white wine into your drippings in the skillet.
  3. Add 1/2 can chicken broth and stir.
  4. In a bowl, mix your remaining 1/2 can of chicken broth and 4 tbsp of your remaining all-purpose flour until it's smooth.
  5. Add the flour/broth mixture slowly to your skillet while stirring constantly.
  6. Keep stirring until thickened and turn to low.
  7. Taste and add pepper, salt or any other seasoning needed.
  8. Poor over your rice and chicken and serve with lemon wedge.
This would also go well with mashed potatoes or noodles.
I hope you all enjoy this as much as we did.
Cindy

4 comments:

Hall Family said...

This looks great! One thing I might try with the sauce is to cook the flour with the butter (about a minute)before adding the broth and stuff. Watching Rachael Ray and others they say making a roux (paste looking) with the flour helps cook off the flour taste and still you get a good 'gravy.' And if you use a whisk while you are pouring the rest of the liquid into the hot pan, you get no lumps. :-)

Princess-R-Us said...

Luckily it was amazing and cooked perfectly! There was no flour taste or lumps at all. :) I'm so glad it turned out. lol I use the thickening method in the recipe to make my homemade dumpling soup too. I can't wait until the weather starts cooling off so I can make it and start baking. :) xoxo

Hall Family said...

You know what I was thinking about this recipe (or any other with bread crumbs)... use Panko Bread crumbs! Have you ever used them? They are Japanese and usually come in a box and at the regular grocery store. I used regular bread crumbs tonight on this recipe (yummy by the way) but was wondering how panko would be with this? I bet yummy. Panko is a bit crispier and has a different flavor. Just a thought!

Princess-R-Us said...

I've never worked with them but it sounds good. :) I'll try them next time. I always am up for something new. lol I love crispy!