Thursday, October 2, 2008

Hungarian Goulash


I got this recipe from my best friend Robin. It was so good! Chris was so excited when he came home to me making this. His mom used to make one like this when he was growing up. We all loved it! I was so glad that the girls loved it because I never know if they'll like a new recipe. Thanks Robin for another great meal!


Hungarian Goulash:

  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 2 pounds beef chuck or round steak, cut into 1 inch cubes.
  • 1 cup diced onion
  • 1 garlic clove minced
  • 3/4 cup ketchup
  • 2 tbsp worcestershire sauce
  • 1 tbsp brown sugar
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 2 tsp paprika
  • 1/2 tsp dry mustard
  • dash cayenne pepper
  • 1 3/4 cups water
  • 2 tbsp flour

  1. Heat oil in a large skillet.
  2. Add beef, onion and garlic.
  3. Cook and stir until meat is brown and onion is tender.
  4. Stir in ketchup, worcestshire sauce, sugar, salt, paprika, mustard, cayenne, and 1 1/2 cups of water.
  5. Cover and simmer 2 to 2 1/2 hours.
  6. About 20 minutes before you're ready to serve, thicken it.
  7. Blend flour and 1/4 cups water together then stir gradually into meat mixture.
  8. Heat to a boil, stirring constantly for 1 minute. ( this will thicken it.)
  9. Serve over cooked wide egg noodles

Enjoy - Cindy

2 comments:

Hall Family said...

I bet this would taste fabulous from the slow cooker! I am going to try making it in the crock-pot and then let you know...

Hall Family said...

IT was delicious in the crock-pot. I browned the onions and meat in the pan then added it ALL (except flour)to the crockpot. Then when it was time to eat I added the flour and voila it was a delicious, tender dinner.