Friday, November 7, 2008

Chicken and Dumpling Soup


The weather has finally cooled off here, we'll see how long it lasts. I've been wanting to make my chicken and dumpling soup when the weather was right, so here it is. I always make a huge batch because we have it for left overs. I usually add carrots and peas but didn't have any on hand this time.
It's super quick and easy to make.
Chicken and Dumpling Soup:
  • 1 1/2 cup flour
  • 1 cup water
  • 2 large cans of chicken broth
  • 1 large can water
  • 1 baked chicken
  • 1 cup peas and carrots
  • 3 chicken bouillon cubes
  • 3/4 tbsp salt
  • 2 tbsp four
  1. Add all broth, can of water and bouillon cubes to a large pot.
  2. Cut all your chicken off the bone. I don't leave any skin on. Add to broth.
  3. If you're using fresh carrots and peas add them now if not add them last.
  4. Bring to a boil and cover.
Dumpling:
  1. Mix your 1 1/2 cups flour, 1 cup water and salt together. It should be really sticky.
  2. Put a generous amount of flour on your cutting board.
  3. Lay your mixture down adding flour to the top as you knead it.
  4. Keep flipping it over, kneading and adding flour so it's still fluffy but not too sticky to roll out. Do not over flour it or they'll be too doughy.
  5. Roll them really thin, they'll plump a little once they boil. I prefer mine thin but fluffy.
  6. Drop your dumplings into the boiling broth one at a time. The broth needs to be boiling for your dumplings to turn out.
  7. Once all your items are in turn it to low and cook it covered for 30 min.
  8. Salt and pepper to taste. Chris like to eat his with a dollop of sour cream on top.
Enjoy~ Cindy

1 comment:

Hall Family said...

Gonna make this later this week. My kids don't like soup so I don't make it often. I love soup this time of year. It is cheap, too! So they will just have to suffer with the delicious soup! I think I had this at your mom's way back when? Or something like it. So I can't wait to try your soup recipe.